Dental Implant Care & Healing Process in Fairhope, AL
Our physicians in Fairhope, AL suggest giving the healing process for dental implants anywhere from 3-6 months. While your dental implant practitioner will give you a complete list of instructions to follow during your recovery time, it is important to understand what to expect during the healing process. Discomfort and a little bit of pain is to be expected. Common symptoms that you will experience after the procedure include swelling, inflammation, tenderness, and bruising.
During the first 24 hours post-procedure, most people experience mild pain. This means the sedation used during surgery has worn off. The pain can typically be subsided by over-the-counter or prescribed pain medication. Avoid brushing the affected area and don’t rinse or spit. Ice packs can be used to help reduce any swelling. Be sure to stick to a soft food diet for at least 2-3 days after getting the implants. After a week of healing, you can start to brush the implant site and return to eating harder foods.
We value informing our Fairhope dental implant patients about caring for their implants for proper healing. If there are any other questions you have, please reach out to us at our dental clinic in Fairhope.
How to Care for Your Dental Implants in Fairhope
To ensure your dental implants last a lifetime, it is important to keep up with their care and your oral health. The following are some of the best practices suggested by our physicians in Fairhope to care for your dental implants.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush: Using hard bristles can cause erosion of the tissue and gum recession. This is why it is important to only brush with soft bristles in order to protect from destroying your gums and harming the implants.
- Receive a dental cleaning every 6 months: While dental implants don’t decay like your normal teeth, regular dental cleanings are important to keep up with your oral health to prevent gum disease and infection.
- Use mouthwash as part of your daily routine: Using mouthwash can help to prevent plaque and bacteria buildup. Make sure the mouthwash is non-alcoholic so as to avoid any damage to the dentures.
- Avoid eating ice: Chewing on ice can put the structural integrity of your dental implants at risk.
- Keep track of any changes in your implants and oral health: The earlier an imperfection in the implant is found, the easier it is to treat.
Your dentist will give you an extended list of post-procedure instructions. If you notice any changes in the dental implants or surrounding gums, contact our dental clinic in Fairhope, AL.
Contact us today
Contact our office in Foley for information about dental implants, or to schedule your consultation. We can’t wait to help restore your smile!
Dental Implants partners with CareCredit, Green Sky, and other lenders to make it possible for everyone on a budget to get dental implants.